Because a home cooling system can be an expensive investment, Beach Air Conditioning, recommends several easy steps homeowners/businessowners can take to help prevent problems from occurring.
- Inspect the filters – The first step in maintaining a well-functioning air conditioning system is to inspect the air filters. These should be changed or cleaned at least twice a year. Monthly maintenance is recommended if the system is in constant use or if the air is dusty and dirty.
- Make sure the machine is properly lubricated – Over time, friction can increase within the machine. Oil the motor and bearings twice a year. Be sure to turn off all electricity to the unit when servicing.
- Inspect the fan belts – Check fan belts and pulleys for wear and proper tension. Have a professional replace worn parts.
- Clean the outdoor condensing unit – Foreign objects and dirt can affect the performance of the machine. Brush away or hose off any insects, dirt or other items on the outdoor condensing unit.
- Clean the drain line -Inspect the drain line to make sure there are not any problems with the termination. If algae is present, wash the affected area with chlorine.
Additionally, if you have a window air conditioning unit, check the window and sill for decay, inspect the unit for rusting and spot paint if any rust is present.